Thanks to Dave Walker from Hot Yoga Sheffield for this!
If you love cheese (like me) but know it’s not the thing to be eating everyday for best health, this plant based ‘cheese’ is a cracking alternative and really delicious!
2/3 Cup Cashews soaked in cold water overnight ( 1 Cup when soaked )
2 TSP Nutritional Yeast (get from a health shop or even Amazon!)
2 TSP Polenta Powder
½ TSP Ground Arrowroot ( Dr Oetker )
1 TSP Lemon Juice
½ Cup Water
¼ TSP Fine Ground Sea Salt
The Way To Make It
You will need a small sauce pan, high speed blender (Vitamix Ideal) and a large oiled ramekin.
- Drain the soaked cashews and rinse in cold water then drain and add to mixer.
- Add Yeast, Polenta, Lemon Juice and Salt and blend slow at first then high. You will find that the mixture stops mixing as it’s too dry. Turn blender off but have ready with the lid removed.
- Add water and Arrowroot to the sauce pan and heat slowly until it starts to thicken, as soon as it starts to thicken turn the blender back on and then slowly pour the hot arrowroot into the blender. It should all start to mix together now.
- When the mixture becomes all creamy and appears to have set in the mixer with no movement, act quick and empty into the pre-oiled ramekin.
- Smooth the top off and leave to cool, then place in fridge. Leave to cool right down for a few hours.
- When cool and fully set you should be able to tip up ramekin and tap out.
- Enjoy with your favourite crackers. If not all consumed in seconds, should last 2-3 days.
At the mixing stage just prior to looking set you can add in some dried or fresh herbs. If adding garlic, don’t over do it. Chives look nice and add that little subtle flavour.
I’ve checked the Arrowroot and Polenta and both are Gluten free.